Friday, March 20, 2015

Main Source- Foundation of my Research

Medical Apartheid: The Dark History of Medical Experimentation on Black Americans from Colonial Times to the Present by Harriet Washington

Research Question: Has the history of medical Science been built on the foundation of unethical medical research/experimentation on African Americans?

I am using this book as a foundation to build upon. After looking through databases and trying to find other cases regarding unethical research on African Americans this one book kept showing up with really good book reviews on every topic I was looking for. So I decided to read the book and after starting it I have decided to use this book to branch off in order to find other sources regarding my research question.
Whenever I search for cases for unethical research on African Americans the Tuskegee Syphilis Study seems to be the only case that appears.
Harriet Washington reveals many more cases in history in which African Americans have been used to research science. Going all the way back to Colonial times. This book has allowed me to figure out what exactly to look for. I have found other cases such as the, 1996 jailing of poor black mothers who were unwitting research subjects or the 1998 infusion of poor black New York City boys with the Cardiotoxic drug fenfluramine.
I have been able to to find other articles based off reading this book which I will be writing about in the blog soon.

Washington, Harriet. Medical Apartheid: The Dark History of Medical Experimentation on Black Americans from Colonial Times to the Present. New York: Anchor Books, 2006. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment